The Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA), the premier awards program for the medtech industry, announced and recognized the 2018 winners across 9 product categories at its annual awards ceremony that took place on June 12, in conjunction with Medical Design and Manufacturing (MD&M) East. Every year, the MDEAs recognize significant achievements in medical product design and engineering that improve the quality of healthcare delivery and accessibility.
In addition to recognizing winners in 9 product categories, the 2018 MDEA Lifetime Achievement award winner, Robert Jarvik, M.D, was also recognized. Jarvik was recognized for his groundbreaking work in artificial heart development over the last 30 years. He developed the first human application of a permanent total artificial heart, founded Jarvik Heart Inc., and has been named Inventor of the Year by the Intellectual Properties Owners Association.
“It’s amazing to see how the technology impacting the medtech industry evolves and improves rapidly every year, and it’s also critical to recognize the organizations and individuals who are truly changing lives through their revolutionary work,” said Daphne Allen, editor-in-chief of MD+DI, UBM. “The 2018 award winners are more than deserving of these accolades and we are excited to see how they can use their technologies to continue to further the industry.”
The MDEAs accepts entries from companies and individuals involved in the design, engineering, manufacturing, or distribution of finished medical devices. Winners are chosen by an impartial panel of jurors made up of clinicians, engineers and designers. The jurors carefully review all product submissions and narrow them down to a maximum of six finalists in each category. From there, jurors vote to award a bronze, silver, and gold award in each category, as well as an overall best-in-show winner.
The 2018 MDEA winners include:
- Gold: MoMe Kardia – InfoBionic
- Silver: HyperView – HyperMed Imaging Inc.
- Bronze: AC3 Optimus Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump – Teleflex Medical Inc.
Drug-Delivery and Combination Products:
- Gold: SURGICEL Powder Absorbable Hemostat – Ethicon US LLC
- Gold: Eli Lilly Taltz Injection Devices – Eli Lilly and Co.
- Silver: Methofill (methotrexate) SELF INJECT – Accord Healthcare Limited
- Bronze: OnSite-IV – PharmaC LLC
ER and OR Tools, Equipment, and Supplies
- Gold: VersaOne Fascial Closure System – Medtronic Inc.
- Silver: Minne Ties Agile MMF – Summit Medical LLC
- Bronze: CleanCision – Prescient Surgical
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Gold: AeroForm Tissue Expander System – AirXpanders
- Silver: Truliant Knee System – Exactech
- Bronze: SPEEDTRAP Graft Preparation System – DePuy Synthes Companies
Nonsurgical Hospital Supplies and Equipment
- Gold: Equashield Pro Pharmacy Robot – Equashield
- Silver: Flusso – McArthur Medical Sales, Inc.
- Bronze: IntelliGuard Linked Visibility Inventory System – IntelliGuard
Over-the-Counter and Self-Care Products
- Gold: Willow Breast Pump – Willow
- Silver: MediClear PreOp – Covalon Technologies Ltd.
- Bronze: ZipStitch – ZipLine Medical, Inc.
Radiological, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices
- Gold: Exablate Neuro – INSIGHTEC
- Silver: StealthStation S8 – Medtronic, plc
- Bronze: OmniTom – Samsung NeuroLogica
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products
- Gold: Obi – DESĪN
- Silver: Ebb Insomnia Therapy – Ebb Therapeutics
- Bronze: Podimetrics Remote Temperature Monitoring System – Podimetrics, Inc.
Testing and Diagnostic Products and Systems
- Gold: STERRAD VELOCITY Biological Indicator System – Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP), part of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies
- Silver: APAS Independence – Clever Culture Systems
- Bronze: Panther Fusion system – Hologic, Inc.
Best in Show
- AeroForm Tissue Expander System – AirXpanders
- CleanCision – Prescient Surgical
The 2018 MDEAs are sponsored by the following organizations: DDSTUDIO, Integrated Design Systems, Phillips-Medisize, and Universal Laser Systems.